Posted in Uncategorized

OpenClassrooms Premium Is Now Free For Unemployed People In France

OpenClassrooms is one of the leading MOOC platform in France, and it signed an interesting deal with the French Government. Starting today, if you are unemployed, you get a free premium account on OpenClassrooms.

Posted in Aging

The Future Of Aging Care: Today’s 10 Biggest Innovations Driving Change – Forbes

Aging couple

10 of the biggest transformations changing the future of aging care:

  1. Home care: a wave of new solutions making it easier for people to stay in their home longer and enabling home care delivery.
  2. Virtual health: from telehealth to remote monitoring, the digital health revolution is making care anywhere possible.  Not only at home, but on the go, persistently.
  3. Consumerism: the empowered patient and skyrocketing consumer demand for information, access, and control is changing the market.
  4. Price transparency: the ability to understand and shop around for pricing is changing the power dynamic of healthcare at all levels.
  5. Data liberation: interoperability and connectivity layers are changing how providers, family, and caregivers interact.
  6. Caregiver platforms: marketplaces are empowering patients, families and caregivers to create better care, accountability and reduce costs.
  7. Design: an emphasis on personalized design and usability for all is simplifying and leaping aging care forward in elegant ways.
  8. Vitality: a focus on wellness and lifestyle is shifting the focus of health from just treatment to prevention and living well.
  9. Longevity: an understanding that we are living longer, healthier lives. 90 is the new 65.
  10. Market focus: Once a neglected area of innovation, entrepreneurs, innovators and investors are passionately rethinking the entire aging care market. And this will have profound implications for generations to come…

via The Future Of Aging Care: Today’s 10 Biggest Innovations Driving Change – Forbes.

Posted in Uncategorized

Microfinance is mostly a scam


I might be well behind others on this subject, but I’m trying to catch up. I just finished a book entitled Confessions of a Microfinance Heretic: how microfinance lost its way and betrayed the poor, written by Hugh Sinclair. Published in 2012, it reviews the previous decade or so of microfinance institutions and how there are essentially very few that haven’t become loan sharks for poor people.

The promise of microfinance was this: that poor people are budding entrepreneurs, who simply don’t have access to the capital required to make their dreams come true. Turns out that’s pretty rare in practice, and that 90% of the loans taken out are “consumption loans,” meaning they are used to buy something like a TV or a service, and then some part of the remaining 10% are loans taken out to repay other loans, and so the “investment loans” are down to…

View original post 718 more words

Posted in Foreclosure, Foreclosure Defense, Legal News

8th Cir. holds TILA’s ‘$35 tolerance’ right to cancel in foreclosures must be exercised after foreclosure initiated – Lexology

Rescission Words

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit recently rejected an attempt to rescind a mortgage loan and recover damages under the federal Truth in Lending Act (TILA), affirming the district court’s grant of summary judgment in favor of the mortgagee because the borrowers only tried to cancel their mortgage loan before foreclosure proceedings were initiated, and not thereafter.

Therefore, the Court held, the borrowers did not qualify for TILA’s expanded right to rescind in foreclosure arising under 15 U.S.C. § 1635(i)(2).

via 8th Cir. holds TILA’s ‘$35 tolerance’ right to cancel in foreclosures must be exercised after foreclosure initiated – Lexology.

Posted in Foreclosure, Foreclosure Defense, Legal News

Travis County – Texas Property Owners Suffer Because of MERS Court Ruling

Dana DeBeauvoir


Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir, joined by the Travis County Commissioners’ Court, issues the following statement regarding the recent ruling by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in Harris County v. MERSCorp Incorporated:

Most people will never notice that the public paperwork you typically expect to be recorded with the County Clerk whenever you buy a house, get a new lender, or refinance your mortgage isn’t being filed at all. A group of residential lenders created MERSCorp (Mortgage Electronic Recording System) several years ago for its own purposes and for bypassing the public record. This group has succeeded in creating its own private registry. The Travis County Commissioners Court, supported by the Travis County Clerk, joined a federal lawsuit in Nueces County to put a stop to this secret, substitute recording system.

via Travis County – Texas Property Owners Suffer Because of MERS Court Ruling.